Saturday 12 June 2010

Thorpe Market



I have lived in Thorpe Market for 19 of my 21 years of life, and since Google street view happened, several people have asked to see where I live. But Google decided not to photograph my lane, and since certain people *cough* Carolina *cough* seem unable to understand how people exist if they don't live in London, I have decided to post some pictures here and write a little bit about where I live.

View of the fields from public footpath. The church in the background is in Southrepps - the nearest village which is two miles away

My Lane


Until I learned to drive and could come and go as I pleased, I hated Thorpe Market.

Thorpe Market is a tiny village in the middle of nowhere, the closest towns are Cromer and North Walsham which are both about 7 miles away, and the nearest city is about 15 miles away. There is nothing but a post box , until recently it had a very nice hotel/restaurant but that's now closed down, and there is also a caravan park and a bus shelter. But thats IT. Until I was about 16 there wasn't even a bus that regularly stopped in the village, there were about 4 a day, now there is one per hour from 7am -7pm. Which is why I when I was growing up I hated living here, my closest friends from school lived 10 miles away, and although I had friends in the village we all went to different high schools so we weren't so close as we were when we were younger.

Fields

Now I'm older I realise what a great place this was to grow up in, there is loads of wide open spaces and a park to play in, there was only one main road near us and we lived close enough to school to be able to cycle there and back.

 All the children who lived in the village would play together and our parents gave us a lot of freedom because everyone in the village knew each other and looked out for us.

In the summer we used to spend day after day playing French cricket and rounders at the park and in the winter we would all help to build giant snow men. It was great till you hit your teenage years, and then it just became boring. But now that I've lived in the city, I've come to realise that I much prefer living in a small village especially one thats surrounded by countryside, and that one day when I'm older I would probably like to live somewhere like Thorpe Market

The main road through Thorpe Market

Post Box

No comments:

Post a Comment