Wednesday 12 May 2010

Mowbury Gardens, Sunderland

WOOO! Today was my last day of my 2nd year of uni! Only one exam on June 1 and then I am free until October! That means almost 5 months of nothing but escapades and adventures, which will hopefully take me abroad. As well as lots and lots of driving around Norfolk and North East in search of things to fill the inevitably tedious and dull hours until uni starts again. Becasue thats how it always is isn't it, the first two weeks off are amazing, but then boredom sets in, and you wish your days were structured with procrastination and lectures.

Anyway after my last seminar, I wondered though Mowbury Park, which is the most central of Sunderland's three parks. The sun was shining, the trees were full of blossom, the flowers were in bloom, children were playing football and my nose got sunburnt.

Ducks on the pond

Pigeons flock to the park in hope of a few crumbs

The winter Gardens reflected in the pond

The pink and white blossom has burst into life over the last couple of weeks due to the brilliant weather and when the wind blows the petals carpet the paths like confetti or snow.


Blossom on the trees over looking the playground

Blossom

Trees and shadows in the park

Statue

Lion statue amongst the flowers


One of Mowbury Parks flower beds in full bloom

Talking of snow, I recently found the pictures I took of Mowbury park when it was covered under a foot of snow in January of this year and I have decided to post them to show the contrast between winter and spring, and how much difference four months makes.

Pond covered in ice and snow

Edge of pond roped off due to ice, if you look at the benches you can see how deep the snow was

Walrus 


Statue

foot bridge 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Helen,

    I blog for the Lewis Carroll Society of North America. Please may I use your picture of the Mowbury Park walrus covered in snow to illustrate a short re-posting of a news story in the Sunderland Echo? Here's the link to the story:

    http://www.sunderlandecho.com/community/nostalgia/retro/wearside_echoes_lonely_walrus_seeks_companion_1_4052069

    - and one to the blog: http://www.lewiscarroll.org/blog/

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete