Wednesday 21 April 2010

The Leas, Marsden


So it was a choice between starting my 3,000 word essay or not starting my 3,000 word essay. Laziness and lack of motivation won, and I went for a drive instead. Since I brought my car up to Sunderland in March, I haven't really done much with it apart from drive to the nearest supermarket, so I decided to go for a drive up the as of yet unexplored coast road and see what I could find.

I was intending to drive to Tynemouth as I had been there once before on a rather miserable, overcast day and wanted to get some pictures of the ruined Abbey over looking the cliffs, but it was getting dark so I stopped at Marsden and walked along the cliffs instead.




I got there just as the sun was setting over the cliffs and the sky was changing from blue to pink to orange, which contrasted beautifully to the green grass and the yellow sandy cliffs. I walked along the cliff path - nearly getting hit by several cyclists - and then down to the beach. The tide was in, so there wasn't anywhere to walk so I climbed back up to the cliffs and sat on the grass for a bit watching the huge waves crashing against the rocks.



After a time, it go too cold to sit on the cliffs so I returned to the car and drove for a bit further (I really didn't want to go home and start my essay). I drove into South Shields and past the amusements and fun fair on the sea front and  the Roman fort. 

The thing that struck me most about Marsden and my drive was just how green everywhere is at the moment. I realise its spring but being stuck in the city most of the time makes you almost forget that grass and the colour green exists.

 It was nice to be out in the open countryside surrounded by fields for a change, but it made me feel a bit homesick for Norfolk.

No comments:

Post a Comment