Thursday 8 April 2010

Oxburgh Hall

2/4/2010

Today was a sad day - Ellen and I realised that we have visited every National Trust house in Norfolk.
We decided to look further afield and found that Oxburgh house is the closest house to us in Suffolk. So off we went! It rained for almost the entire journey, and I realised that jelly babies (our car snack de jour) are the most over rated sweet - nothing needs that much icing sugar.


Oxburgh hall and its moat



The gardens at Oxburgh hall

Ellen on the roof

Oxburgh house is famous for both its moat and its priest hole, Ellen was brave and got in the priest hole but I wasn't, and neither of us ventured into the moat because it was too cold.

After we looked round the house - standard issue national trust lots of patterned upholstery and portraits of uninteresting and unattractive dead people - we went for a hot beverage and a cake.

Dresser in the restaurant, I want one of these in my house. Sadly I didn't get to sample all the cakes


View of Oxburgh hall from across the lake/ flooded fields

After we had dried off from our roof top exploration, we braved the rain again and went for a look around the grounds. We walked through the woods and around the lake or the flooded field (could have been either!), either way I sunk up to my ankles in mud when I got too close to it. We also saw some bees!!I love bees, we didn't actually see them but we did see their little bee homes.

Bee hives

This picture illustrates our woodland walking expertise


We followed the number game around the woods, I think its designed for children

The daffodils were just coming out - a sure sign that spring is finally on its way

No comments:

Post a Comment